Born on December 24, 1924, Mohammed Rafi’s career spanned over four decades.
He made his singing debut in the Punjabi film, Gul Baloch by rendering a duet with Zeenat Begum, ‘Soniye Ni Heeriye Ni’ composed by Shyamsunder.
Rafi has sung as many as 4,516 Hindi film songs, 112 non Hindi film songs and 328 non-film songs from 1945 to 1980.
Having a strong command over Hindu and Urdu, his songs ranged from classical numbers sad lamentations to highly romantic numbers, to patriotic songs, qawwalis to ghazals and bhajans.
while he was primarily noted for his HIindi—Urdu songs, he also sang in other Indian languages including Bhojpuri, Konkani, Oriya, Bengali, Punjabi, Sindhi, Marathi, Kannada, Gujarati, Telugu, Maithili, Assamese, etc.
He had been conferred with many awards for his contributions to the industry including a National Award and many Filmfare Awards. He was also honoured with the Padma Shri in 19671.
Best known for romantic and duet songs, he had sung most of his songs with the famous singer, Asha Bhosle.
Some of the notable films he sang for are Aar Paar, Balju Bawra, Bizrsat Ki Roar, Ek Musafir Ek Haseena, Dosti, Hum Dono, Teesri Manzil, Pyasa, Shaheed.
He had a strong grasp of the Hindustani language and sang in a large number of languages including Oriya, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Kannada, Telugu as well as English, Spanish, Dutch and Persian.
He died on July 31, 1980, after he suffered a heart attack.
15. Dil Ka Bhanwar Kare Pukar.
17. Mabdhuban Mein Radhika Nache.
19. Na Kisi Aankh Ka Noor Hoon.
22. Teri Pyari Pyari Surat Ko.
23. Zindagi Bhar Nahin Bhoolegi.
25. Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Sathiyon.
27. Man Re Tu Kahe Na.>
29. Yaad Na Jaye.>
30. Yeh Mera Prem Patra.>
32. Aaja Re Aa Zara.>
33. Aise To Na Dekho.>
34. Chhoo Lene Do.>
35. Din Dhal Jaye.>
37. Jaag Dil-E-Diwana Rut Jaagi.>
38. Kabhi Na Kabhi.>
39. Khamosh Zindagi Ko .>
41. Koi Sagar Dil Ko Bahlata Nahin.>
42. Mujhe Dard-E-Dil Ka Pata Na Tha.>
43. Mujhe Duniyawalo.>
44. Pardesiyon Se Na Ankhiyan Milana.>
45. Phir Miloge Kabhi.>
46. Raha Gardishon Mein Hardam.>
47. Woh Jab Yaad Aaye.>
48. Tarif Karu Kya Uski.>
51. Akela Hoon Main Humsafar.>
52. Akele Akele Kahan Jaa Rahe Ho.>
55. Bahosh-O-Hawaz Main.>
56. Chhalkayen Jaam.>
57. Ek Haseen Sham Ko.>
59. Meri Awaz Suno.>
60. Pathar Ke Sanam.>
61. Wadiyan Mera Daman.>
62. Gar Tum Bhula Doge.>
63. Woh Khushi Mil Gayi Hain.>
64. Teri Ankhon Ke siva.>
66. Jawaniya Yeh Mast.>
67. Khoya Khoya Chand.>
68. Ehsaan Tera Hoga Mujh Par.>
69. Baar Baar Dekho.>
71. Tumne Mujhe Dekha.>
72. Aaj Mausum Bada Be-Iman Hain.>
75. Kya Hua Tera Wada.>
77. Na Tu Zamee Ke Liye.>
79. Teri Bindiya Re.>
80. Teri Galiyon Mein.>
81. Tu kahin Aaa Paas Hain Dost.>
82. Tum Jo Mil Gaye Hon.>
83. Tum Mujhe Yun Bhula Na Paoge .>